Is your BNI membership working for you by generating enough referrals to help you grow your business?
If it isn’t, make sure you’re really “working the program” and not just going through the motions. Taking the easiest route is human nature; we all need to periodically review and possibly recharge our efforts.
You can do this by:
- Setting objectives. It’s hard to know if something is working or not if you don’t quantify it. What do you want to achieve from your BNI investment? How many referrals per month (or what dollar amount) will equal a worthwhile use of your time?
- Bringing at least one visitor a month to your chapter. Referrals increase exponentially as a chapter increases in size. When you choose your visitors to invite, pay particular attention to the professions you need to create a strong power team for yourself. (A power team is a subgroup within a chapter that has the same client base and is likely to be able to “share” clients.) Recruiting new members for your power team will directly increase your referrals.
- Making time for one-to-ones. Everyone gets busy and has trouble fitting these in. But they are essential. The knowledge gained during one-to-ones leads to more and better referrals.
- Preparing powerful, memorable 60 second presentations. Are your 60-seconds often done on the fly? Are your presentation skills somewhat weak? You will benefit by working specifically on your 60-second presentation (why not sign up for an MSP?) and more generally on your presentation skills (various workshops are probably available in your community – or ask your BNI Director for help).
- Being specific with your referral requests. We have all seen magic happen when a member asks for a specific individual and someone in the room (even a visitor) knows that person. Or — they know someone just like that person, which is just as valuable.
- Being visible in your chapter. Take leadership positions and take a helpful role with other members by providing them with not only referrals but also your time, your expertise, and your encouragement. Your visibility leads to credibility which ultimately contributes to profitability. This is the full meaning of Givers Gain.
These are the basics of BNI. Do them consistently and with commitment and you will reap the rewards.